Introducing: the most nourishing, heart-warming, nurturing breakfast bowl... Ever! I love treating my mornings like they’re sacred, like everything is a ritual. And one of my favorite morning rituals is breakfast.
On mornings when I sense my heart and soul needing some calm and groundedness, I eat something warm for breakfast. So on one sacred morning, apple cinnamon quinoa porridge happened—even before I took the first bite, I knew this recipe was so good that I had to share it with you.
First, a quick and important PSA: If you’re still counting calories and stressing through the latest and greatest diet fad, listen up.
It isn’t really about how much you eat, it’s about what you eat!
Instead of checking the calories, ask yourself:
- Are the ingredients packed with nutrients?
- Are they grown organically and sustainably?
- Are they giving your body the vitamins and minerals it needs today to feel its very best?
__Your body is a genius__—it knows what it needs more than any diet trend ever could. Learning how to hear your body’s genius is yoga in action! Just like you become aware of your body while breathing and moving on your mat, you can watch how you’re feeling, learn what nutrients help that feeling either increase or heal, and act on it mindfully and lovingly.
Mindful eating begins with the ingredients you select. Next comes the process of preparing your meal, and finally, the gratitude and awareness you focus on while eating it. How present are you in the process, from start to finish? Watch yourself the next time you set out to make a meal. Healthy eating is simple: the more present you are, the better you will feel!
I practiced mindfulness while making this warm, cozy quinoa porridge. Knowing I was preparing something easy (busy moms rejoice!), delicious, jam-packed with protein and very filling made the preparation process grateful and joyful all the way through!
The main ingredient in this porridge is quinoa. I love this superfood! It’s a naturally gluten-free ancient grain that keeps you feeling full while providing tons of nutrients—because you’re eating the whole thing, not some processed and stripped-down fluff! From there, I selected ingredients I knew my body would love on this sacred, grounding morning.
The result: a breakfast bowl that’s a nutritional powerhouse! It will keep you going all the way ‘till lunch, serving your body and soul:
- All essential amino acids
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Mindfulness and gratitude for the present moment
The Yoga Girl® Kitchen: Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Porridge Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup yellow or red quinoa, rinsed
- 2.5 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- water (if needed)
- 1 apple
- handful of dates
- raisins, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- handful of almonds, chopped
- hemp seeds
- Make sure you rinse the quinoa properly, then add to a pot with the almond milk and bring to a boil.
- The moment it starts boiling, bring the heat down to low.
- Rinse, peel and slice the apple and add to the quinoa.
- If the almond milk starts cooking into the quinoa but its still not ready, add some water if needed.
- Chop up the dates and add together with the raisins and cinnamon.
- Add the maple syrup and stir well!
- You'll know that the quinoa is ready when it’s tender—taste to make sure!
- Serve steaming hot with a sprinkle of hemp seeds, chopped almonds and almond milk.
What’s your favorite warm breakfast recipe? Share in the comments below.
Enjoy a beautiful morning of self-nourishment, and follow it up with a beautiful day nourishing the world!