This recipe is so, so easy to make! I whip it up every time we have leftover bread or baguette at home.
We just made a carrot soup with some home-made garlic bread and the next morning this half a baguette was just staring at me…
I do find it interesting I mostly cook to make sure we don’t waste any food (it’s the ultimate motivation! Find my overripe bananas banana bread on YouTube here).
Anyway, this recipe takes a second to create and is pretty fool proof. I love to serve it with coconut yoghurt and blueberry jam—Lea Luna was asking (read: shrieking) for whole blueberries so I ended up not making any jam but I’ll include the recipe for it in here so you have it!
Again, simplicity is key and you can trust that every recipe I share with you guys is something you can do with a toddler on your hip.
The Yoga Girl® Kitchen - Vegan French Toast with Fresh Blueberry-Chia Jam
First, the French toast....
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I prefer soy or almond but any milk works)
- 2 tbsp flour (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Thick slices of day-old bread (toast won’t do!)
- Coconut oil for the pan
- Mix the flour with a tiny bit of the milk until blended.
- Add the rest of the milk and the vanilla, cinnamon, salt and maple syrup. Whisk it all together and put a pan over medium heat with a dash of coconut oil.
- Dip each slice of bread in the mixture for a few seconds on each side (let’s make it 4 seconds, Mississippi style!) and then put in the pan.
- Fry both sides until golden!
- Continue until you’ve run out of bread (this mixture will make a whole baguette).
Next, the jam...
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Put blueberries in a pot and cook over very low heat.
- When warm, mash the blueberries together with a potato masher.
- Add the chia seeds and sweeten to taste (I'd go for less maple syrup for this recipe, especially if you like maple syrup on your French toast!).
- Leave to settle for 5 minutes (to give time for the chia to help thicken the jam!).
Serve your French toast with a big heaping of blueberry jam, a dollop of coconut yoghurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. And coffee! Don’t forget coffee.