If we have to bake our way through this quarantine we will!
I have been baking at least once a day - scones, gingerbread, cupcakes, meringues, cinnamon rolls. I’m baking for an army, yet we are a little family of three.
I’m pretty sure I am ready for “The Great British Bake Off!” Just awaiting their call after the quarantine, or I’m pretty sure we can film a virtual episode in my kitchen instead!
Also, shout out to the person who asked me today, “What do you do with all these baked goods? Do you give them away?”
YA RIGHT SISTER.
The buttons of my jeans (that I am definitely not wearing) are social distancing now AND THAT’S HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO BE.
It's ok to eat that extra cinnamon bun and bake something every day. So what if your jeans get a little tight. We are having a freaking global pandemic and I don’t know about you but I find serious comfort in the kitchen. Baking, cooking, eating, nourishing, taking care of myself so I can be of better service to the world.
Since so many of you were asking for this recipe, here it is! I was inspired to use this recipe by Loving It Vegan but of course I had to play with the amount of chocolate in the frosting (I doubled it!). Enjoy!
Classic Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Ingredients for Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes (recipe from @lovingitvegan):
- 1 1/2 cup (190g) all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup (42g) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) oil (melted coconut, olive, canola, etc.)
- 3 Tbsp. Applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. White vinegar (apple cider vinegar works too.)
Gluten-free version here!
Ingredients for Vegan Buttercream Frosting (inspired by @lovingitvegan with my own chocolatey additions):
- 3/4 cup (170g) vegan butter
- 3 cups (360g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (126g) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 100 g vegan chocolate, melted (+extra for optional chocolate-shavings topping)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2-3 Tbsp. Non-dairy milk (add slowly until desired thickness)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Starting with the cupcake batter, sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl, then add the white sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix together until blended.
- Next, add the non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, oil, applesauce, and vinegar and mix in. Use a hand whisk to whisk out any big lumps and to achieve fluffier texture.
- Distribute the batter evenly between the cupcake liners.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then remove the cupcakes from the cupcake tray and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the vegan butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, melted chocolate, vanilla, and salt to a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, start at slow speed, gradually increasing speed. Add in the non-dairy milk slowly, and only as much as you need to get the right consistency and thickness.
- When your cupcakes are cooled, pipe on the frosting, sprinkle with grated vegan chocolate shavings if you want, and then ENJOY.
That’s it! Savor every chocolately-delicious and beautifully-indulgent bite, then share what you think in the comments below!