Prepare to have your mind blown! This vegan spin on the popular lox bagel sandwich will no doubt become a staple in your home after you give it a try.
Lox, a popular Scandinavian dish and known as another word for cured salmon, has been a popular dish for a long time, but unfortunately has come upon massive overfishing problems and negative environmental impacts in recent years, so why not give a vegan version a try?
Incorporating marinated thinly-sliced smoked carrots, as soon as you take a bite you will be blown away that there were no animals involved in its making!
This recipe needs some marinating, so be sure to make this at least 4-12 hours before you plan to eat it.
Begin by making the vegan smoked "lox" carrots:
Makes 8 servings
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- After carrots are peeled, steam the carrots for 5 minutes on a double boiler, steaming tray, or strainer over boiling water, being careful not to put the carrots in the water. Covering may speed up steaming time.
- When carrots are steamed, but not too soft, remove from heat and let cool to the touch.
- Using a mandolin or potato peeler, thinly slice carrots.
- In a large container that has a tightly sealing lid (or a large zip lock works too) and add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, lemon juice, and salt and pepper and shake well to mix.
- Add sliced carrot, one by one, and shake well with the liquid mix, being careful not to break up the slices.
- Once all slices are added to liquid mix, seal container or bag and place in fridge overnight or for about 4-12 hours (the longer the marinating, the stronger the flavor).
- Once marinated, slices are ready to be used with the lox bagel recipe below!
This recipe makes about 8 servings, so save any extra to use throughout the next 3-5 days, or reduce portions to fit your needs. Store any extra in a sealed container in the fridge.
The Fabulous Yoga Girl® Vegan "Lox" Bagel
- 1 bagel (plain, "everything" or whatever is your favorite!)
- 2 Tbps. vegan cream cheese
- about 3 Tbsp. vegan smoked "lox" carrots (from recipe above)
- 2 rings of fresh onion (white or red)
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- Open bagel and lightly toast in toaster, toaster oven, or panini maker (if using panini maker, don't press too hard).
- Spread cream cheese on one half, then add several slices of smoked carrots, onion rings, and top with capers.
- Serve with your favorite mixed greens on the side and enjoy!
Never had vegan lox? What'd you think? Share below!