How can you be a more mindful snacker?
Eating a plant-based diet is the best decision I’ve ever made for my health. I look for healthy items that are also delicious—it’s a necessity to have lots of well-balanced snacks around the house and yoga studio, especially for when those cravings set in!
Slowing down and staying mindful when I eat is something that’s actually become much easier for me since I had a baby; eating with her requires a lot of focus (or I end up with a bowl of pasta on my head!).
Throughout the years and after many changes in my diet, I finally feel balanced and relaxed when it comes to my diet. Here are a few simple tips for eating mindfully:
1. Take your time when eating.
I prefer to eat foods that I can take my time eating; things that I can nibble on and fully digest. My go-to snack is Wonderful Pistachios, The Mindful Nut. The empty pistachio shells may provide a visual cue to let me know how much I’ve eaten, something Wonderful Pistachios calls this the “Pistachio Principle.” It’s a great reminder to slow down and eat mindfully.
2. Savor the moment.
When I’m not on-the-go or teaching a yoga session, I love having my friends and loved ones over for “Fika” – the Swedish tradition to snack or sweets at any hour of the day. I think Lea Luna loves it the most! It’s the perfect time to reconnect and make new memories while enjoying some delicious and nutritious snacks. Not to mention, it gives yourself a chance to sit back, relax, and focus on a healthier you in good company.
3. Make smart snack decisions.
When I cut out processed foods from my diet, my body and my mind felt more satisfied. So rather than reaching for a bag of potato chips, think about grabbing snacks that are a good source of protein and fiber, such as a bag of pistachios. Also, they’re a good alternative to snacks high in added sugars and saturated fat so you can sit back, relax, and focus on a healthier you.
If you’re looking for some simple ways to serve pistachios with your loved ones, here are some of my favorite ways to pair Wonderful Pistachios!
- Take mildly sweet apples, soft vegan cream cheese and a drizzle of maple syrup to complement the deliciously rich taste and crunchy texture of Wonderful Pistachios Roasted & Salted. Enjoy with a glass of sparkling water, topped with a splash of pomegranate juice.
- Oven-roasted tomatoes on crisps and Wonderful Pistachios Lightly Salted make a savory Mediterranean pairing with a robust flavor. Enjoy with a glass of home-made basil spritzer.
- Toasted coconut chips, dark chocolate-dipped pineapple and Wonderful Pistachios Roasted & Salted create a perfect balance of texture and flavor.
These are just a few of the many different combinations you can create. Have any ideas for me? Share your own pistachio pairing ideas in the comments below!
This post was created in partnership with Wonderful Pistachios.