In the colder months or on a fresh morning or evening, what better way to warm up with than a cup of delicious, creamy, hot chocolate!
Soothing, nourishing, heart-healing and calming, this is a go-to for when you want a warm, cozy drink to nourish the body and soul as well.
This special hot chocolate contains the almighty Maca, which contains vitamins B, C, and E. This powerful superfood helps to regulate hormone levels and can even help stabilize your mood! Perfect for those experiencing "that certain time of the month" or when you just need a break and want to mellow out naturally.
This recipe has a bit of an optional twist on it too!
While traditional hot chocolate does not call for coffee - the "dirty" version does! You can choose to add 1 tbsp of instant coffee to your hot chocolate for a little mocha-style pick me up, or if you have an espresso maker at home, throw a shot of espresso in...the more coffee there is, the "dirtier" it'll be.
Dirty Hot Chocolate from The Yoga Girl® Kitchen
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup, adjust to taste (or omit)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp instant coffee or 1 shot of espresso (optional)
- Slowly heat up the almond milk, but be careful to never let it boil! Boiling can burn off the beneficial attributes contained in the maca and cacao, while also potentially burning your almond milk. Pour in the maple syrup if using when liquid is heated and let it dissolve as much as you can.
- Next, slowly add in the remaining ingredients (raw cacao, maca, cinnamon, coffee) and stir well.
- Pour in your favorite mug, cuddle up with a good book, and sip while warm.
Ever try a hot chocolate like this? What'd you think?