This raw vegan dessert is so easy to make and so crazy-delicious that you’ll never want to buy a chocolate candy bar again! It’s my all-time favorite recipe. Plus, what’s better than REAL cacao mixed with coconut and nut butter??
This recipe kind of blew my mind. It is seriously so delicious you won't know what hit you. I may have been caught licking my plate...and the pan...and my fingers...I didn’t want it to end!
Add an episode of Friends on TV, a peacefully sleeping toddler, a glass of wine, and a couch full of dogs and a husband, and my night is made!
I made this dreamy chocolate treat on accident as I rummaged through my kitchen in the midst of a chocolate craving.
I only had to pull out 6 ingredients, mix them all together with my preferred measuring cup (intuition), and voila! Forty-five minutes later, I was licking chocolate heaven off my plate.
The almond butter and shredded coconut gave it great creamy and chunky textures that work perfectly with the strong flavor of raw cacao.
Not to mention, I was feeding my body tons of nutrients with every ingredient!
Cacao is LIFE. But if you aren’t obsessed with it yet, here are a few reasons why you might want to be:
- It’s the highest plant-based source of iron and antioxidants.
- Delivers more calcium than cow’s milk (that really needs to stop being a reason to drink cow’s milk.)
- It’s full of magnesium, something most people in the Western world are deficient in.
- Cacao also makes your brain blissful and your heart open. Aren't you in love with it now, too?
Coconut is an amazing friend to your energy levels, brain, heart, liver, skin...Basically, the whole body loves coconut! While you’re making this recipe, why not rub a little coconut oil on your body, too? Take this treat-yourself evening to the next level!
Almonds are also wonderful for your skin. Get your protein, your fiber, and your magnesium here!
Where do you get your riboflavin? (If you haven't watched Ellen Degeneres’s stand up, Relatable, do it now.) Maple syrup is my favorite sweetener! It contains riboflavin, as well as calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium. It packs in more antioxidants and minerals than honey!
Every human body needs sodium. But they kind of salt (sodium) you use matters! Himalayan salt is more natural (less processed) so it still contains those amazing minerals from Mother Earth. It helps alleviate muscle cramps (think salty sports drinks), and it balances out your pH levels while making sure your body uses sodium in the best way. It can even help your body get more energy from the food you put it on! You don’t have to be afraid of salt — just make sure you’re using the right kind!
You can substitute the almond butter for any nut butter you like, and you can also add nuts, raisins, goji berries, ceylon cinnamon, maca powder...pretty much whatever you crave today. The sky's the limit! Next time I'm going to make mine with a bit of peppermint oil (perfect for a winter holiday treat!)
The Yoga Girl® Kitchen - Raw Chocolate with Coconut and Almond Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- A dash of Himalayan Salt
- Almond butter
- Blend everything (except the almond butter) until smooth.
- Pour half of the chocolate mixture in a pan and put in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once it's solid, take it out of the freezer and smear almond butter on top (I love Justin's vanilla flavor), and then pour the rest of the chocolate on top. **TIP: Make sure your almond butter is room temperature so it's easy to spread over the chocolate!
- Put it back in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Cut up into pieces and eat right away. As it's made with coconut oil, the chocolate will melt quickly so don't leave it out for too long!
How did yours turn out? Did you add anything fun to the mixture? Tell me in the comments below!