Integrating Equity: A Diversity and Inclusion Series with Susanna Barkataki
Do the work in showing up for others as you put yoga in action! Begin your journey of understanding cultural appropriation and honoring yoga's roots on a deeper level with this introductory online course.
Completely self-paced, this course will allow you to take your yoga practice to the next level and become a true advocate for equality, diversity, accessibility, and inclusivity.
Are you a yoga student or teacher that has felt hopeless, overwhelmed, lost, or discouraged in regards to how you can be a better ally in the yoga world and beyond?
Have you been wanting to properly honor and embrace the cultural roots of the yoga practice beyond just the physical asana practice, but lack direction on how to actually do that?
Do you want to positively contribute to repairing the damages caused by systemic injustice, colonization, and discrimination, but don’t know where to start?
Coming from a place of compassion, empathy, and understanding, our Yoga Girl® guide, Susanna Barkataki, will lead you through a beautiful journey of exploration, inquiry, and reflection to help you deepen your understanding of yoga beyond the mat, and fully embody the practice in ways that not just benefit yourself, but others as well.
"My hope is that when we explore like this, we open our hearts to one another, to new perspectives and to seeing the world in a new way. To building bridges for unity. This exploration takes the kind of courage that leads to deeper understanding and an open heart." - Susanna Barkataki
This course is for you if you:
- Are looking for ways to live yoga “off the mat” and beyond the physical asana practice while putting yogic philosophy, principles, and ethics in action so you can create a life where you feel more whole and connected to yourself, the world, and the people around you.
- Want to honor the roots of yoga without culturally appropriating and learn how to use your yoga practice as a means of lessening harm locally and globally.
- Want to deepen your understanding of the Yamas and Niyamas (yoga philosophy/ethics and morals) and learn ways to embody yogic values in your daily life.
- Want to feel confident in holding space for uncomfortable or challenging, but important, conversations, not only in daily life, but also in relation to yoga and social justice.
- Want a better understanding of power dynamics, forms of oppression, and privileges that show up both on and off the mat.
- Want to understand the different types of trauma and how healing can place within oppressive systems using yoga.
- Are ready to explore your own personal roles and identities in a way that can help make yoga and society more equitable for all.
This course includes 6 in-depth modules led by Susanna Barkataki with:
- 14 self-paced video lessons
- 7 guided audio meditations
- A 61-page PDF with exercises and worksheets for each module
- Reflective journaling prompts to help put each lesson into practice
- 2 letters from Susanna
- Ongoing access (take your time!)
By the end of this course you will:
- Be better equipped to face challenges through a lens of compassion and empathy, while still maintaining firm boundaries.
- Gain confidence and the courage to stand courageously in the face of oppressive systems and become a true advocate for equality, diversity, accessibility, and inclusivity.
- Have a better understanding of yogic philosophy and will be able to truly embrace the roots of the yoga practice.
- Earn 10 Non-Contact Hours of Continuing Education credit through Yoga Alliance if you are a registered yoga teacher.
Deepen your knowledge, expand your growth, and allow your yoga practice to evolve with this brand-new Yoga Girl® course.
Part of the proceeds of this course will be donated to South Asian organizations in support of under-resourced communities.
After purchasing, you'll be able to find this course via your My Mat page. You will have full and continued access to all of the course content on YogaGirl.com so that you can choose the pace that works best for you and continue coming back to it on your own time. There is no time limit to complete this course.
Have some questions before you get started? Click here to read some FAQ's!