About the Episode
The past few months have given us a glimpse of what the world has the potential to be – a world where we work and commute less, where we have more time in our day to take care of ourselves, and most importantly: where justice is for all.
In a world that rewards you for putting work and the idea of success above all else, the pursuit of joy and the practice of self-care is a radical tool of resistance and liberation.
These are the words from this week’s very special guest, Latham Thomas (follow @glowmaven and @mamaglow on Instagram!).
This episode will provide an eye-opening look into the wellness field (where so much change needs to happen!), show you how racism weaponizes tools of consciousness, and give you steps you can take within your own community to look for joy while dismantling the systemic issues that keep others from finding theirs.
- Having a daily spiritual practice where you pursue joy is a radical act of self-care and resistance in a world that does not value slowing down and taking time for yourself.
- Spreading ‘love and light’ is not enough - and it weaponizes tools of consciousness. The system of white supremacy is not going to be dismantled by burning sage and wishing others the best.
- If you find yourself brimming with emotion, do not try to stifle it. Instead, use your emotions to fuel yourself into action for your community.
- Look around your community to see who is marginalized and see what issues affect them. Then lend your voice, learn to understand and align with their struggle, and help fight the issue at hand.
- There is an ongoing maternal health crisis for Black women. Look into your local community of doulas and midwives and see how you can help support and advance education, tools, and professional development on an ongoing basis. How can you help protect Black mothers in your community?
More about Latham Thomas
Latham Thomas is a maternal wellness maven, Birth Doula, and proud mama who is transforming the world of birth and motherhood. Along with supporting women in optimal wellness and spiritual growth, she also finds time to advocate for birth equity and to bridge policy gaps in maternal health.
Latham is the best-selling author of two books, including “Own Your Glow” and she if the founder of Mama Glow, a women's health education brand that supports women through various stages of pregnancy and motherhood.